Most of those in the IT department would want the best and latest IT equipment available. They go through the different industry magazines or talk to their fellow IT professionals about the latest products. Although it is ideal to get the best and updated hardware, it can be tough for new small companies and even for those established ones to update their systems every few years because of the availability of new hardware. The budget plays a great role in the decision to change the hardware and whenever you change your system, you also disrupt the services you provide. You might also not really need the expensive upgrade because you might not really need it as of the moment.
Most of the IT infrastructures that companies have sit around for a year up to six years. Some say that using the data centre infrastructure for 3 years is the time when you already need an upgrade but the truth is there are still some companies who don’t upgrade because their systems can still handle the workload. Although you might see that the value of your hardware today has greatly depreciated as compared to its value several years ago, it would still be beneficial and productive for you to have it because of its usefulness. It doesn’t really need to be replaced by brand new equipment that you will just spend money on.
Although some companies may still find their servers useful after several years of use, there are still those that really need an upgrade. These are the companies that need to have an increase in storage or capacity of their servers. If you are one of those, then you need to carefully read hp proliant details before purchasing them. When they are brand new, they can be quite expensive but when you find refurbished ones, then you can save a lot. Before you make the purchase of what you buy, make sure you know if it is brand new or refurbished because they can be identical with to each other. You need to know about this so that if your hardware is refurbished, then you can take a good look at it and test it out properly first before the purchase. Here are some things you need to be aware of when buying refurbished hardware.
- What processes are they used for?
- Who was responsible in conducting the testing on the hardware and what tests have they done to it? You also need to ask if they can give you a report on the tests done.
- Figure out where the hardware came from.
- Ask for an extension of the warranty if possible.
- Compare it with the new one and figure out if there is a large savings when you choose to buy the refurbished one.
- Let someone in the IT department talk to the seller about the specifications. You might not understand all of it so it would be better to let the experts handle the questioning for you.